SSH Brute Force attempts

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 30 15:25:37 UTC 2008

Hello guys,

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:30:33 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:10:59AM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:
>> Recently I'm getting a lot of brute force attempts on my server, in the
>> past I've used various tips and tricks with linux boxes but many of them
>> were fairly linux specific.
>>
>> What do you BSD guys use for this purpose?
>
> This probably should've gone to -security, correct.
>
> There are 3 ports which people often use for solving this:
>
> ports/security/blocksshd
> ports/security/sshblock
> ports/security/sshguard-(pf|ipfw|ipfilter)

There's also a tool written by me which can be found in
security/bruteforceblocker - you may read a bit about it on
http://danger.rulez.sk/index.php/bruteforceblocker/.

The official release currently works only with pf, but I know there's a
person working towards porting it to ipf/ipfw. He recently ported it to
iptables and added CIDR support for whitelists, but I haven't had a time to
review his changes, however once I get to it I will release a new version.

--
Best regards
  Daniel Geržo