SSH Brute Force attempts

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 30 09:45:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:56:32AM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20080930 05:14], Rich Healey (healey.rich at gmail.com) wrote:
> >What do you BSD guys use for this purpose?
>
> I actually use blockhosts, which is a Python solution you tie into
> hosts.allow.
>
> http://www.aczoom.com/cms/blockhosts

In no way shape or form does this solve the problem of the attackers
being able to establish a TCP connection to you -- they are still tying
up sockets, mbufs, and extra network I/O (coming from you when you
respond and close the socket).

TCP wrappers are absolutely 100% worthless in this day and age.