ATA Security patch to atacontrol

Daniel Roethlisberger daniel at roe.ch
Tue Sep 30 09:41:41 UTC 2008

Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher at yandex.ru> 2008-09-30:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >Can you provide me datasheet and technical reference material to what
> >"ATA Security" is?  Which ATA specification is this documented in?  I'd
> >like to read it.
>
> I think you can found it in ATA-ATAPI-7 vol.1: "4.7 Security Mode feature
> set".

Exactly.  Even though the actual T13 standard must be purchased, you can
find the documents and drafts of it online at various places by googling
for appropriate keywords.  For example:

   http://hddguru.com/content/en/documentation/2006.01.27-ATA-ATAPI-7/

The ATA command set, including the ATA Security commands, is in vol. 1.

In 2005, there was a much-cited article in the German c't magazine about
the security implications of ATA Security, which might be worth a read
too.  It is available online in English:

   http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/08/172/

--
Daniel Roethlisberger
http://daniel.roe.ch/