atacontrol broken in 7.1-PR

Pegasus Mc Cleaft ken at mthelicon.com
Sun Sep 28 22:10:27 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 September 2008 21:42:41 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:43:58AM +0000, Pegasus McCleaft wrote:
> > 	I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have
> > recently reloaded my machine (due to a meltdown of my primary boot
> > drive) and noticed that under 7.0-rel the atacontrol command seems to
> > work great, however, under 7.1 I get and error
> >
> > atacontrol: ioctl(IOCATADEVICES): Device not configured
>
> What arguments did you give atacontrol?

Sorry, forgot to add that in. I was typing from a terminal window while xorg
was rebuilding.  Perhapse some more usefull information to follow :>

feathers# atacontrol list
atacontrol: ioctl(IOCATADEVICES): Device not configured

> > 	Has anyone else seen this error. I wouldent be conserned if it wasent
> > for the fact that it worked under 7.0-rel but now dosent. The machine is
> > using both the:
> >
> > atapci0: <SiI SiI 3132 SATA300 controller>
> > atapci1: <JMicron JMB363 SATA300 controller>
>
> atapci is just the PCI portion, and doesn't show any sign of the ATA
> driver being attached.  Do you have ataX (e.g. ata0) devices showing
> up in dmesg?

Yea.. The machine is otherwise running fine, and also loaded the driver for
the ata raid controller (I made the machine boot off a raid-1 pack and made
slices on the pack for /, /usr, /var . The rest zfs for /usr/home)

Thinking about it, I also added atapicd in the kernel config so I could use
things like K3B and xcdroast.. I dont know if maybe that shim might be causing
issues. I'll try making another kernel without it and giving that a try.

feathers# dmesg | grep ata
atapci0: <SiI SiI 3132 SATA300 controller> port 0x9000-0x907f mem
0xe7004000-0xe700407f,0xe7000000-0xe7003fff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci3
atapci0: [ITHREAD]
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata2: [ITHREAD]
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
ata3: [ITHREAD]
atapci1: <JMicron JMB363 SATA300 controller> mem 0xec100000-0xec101fff irq 19
at device 0.0 on pci5
atapci1: [ITHREAD]
atapci1: AHCI called from vendor specific driver
atapci1: AHCI Version 01.00 controller with 2 ports detected
ata4: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1
ata4: [ITHREAD]
ata5: <ATA channel 1> on atapci1
ata5: [ITHREAD]
atapci2: <JMicron JMB363 UDMA133 controller> port
0xb000-0xb007,0xb100-0xb103,0xb200-0xb207,0xb300-0xb303,0xb400-0xb40f irq 16
at device 0.1 on pci5
atapci2: [ITHREAD]
ata6: <ATA channel 0> on atapci2
ata6: [ITHREAD]
atapci3: <Intel AHCI controller> port
0xe600-0xe607,0xe700-0xe703,0xe800-0xe807,0xe900-0xe903,0xea00-0xea1f mem
0xec406000-0xec4067ff irq 19 at device 31.2 on pci0
atapci3: [ITHREAD]
atapci3: AHCI Version 01.20 controller with 6 ports detected
ata7: <ATA channel 0> on atapci3
ata7: [ITHREAD]
ata8: <ATA channel 1> on atapci3
ata8: [ITHREAD]
ata9: <ATA channel 2> on atapci3
ata9: [ITHREAD]
ata10: <ATA channel 3> on atapci3
ata10: [ITHREAD]
ata11: <ATA channel 4> on atapci3
ata11: [ITHREAD]
ata12: <ATA channel 5> on atapci3
ata12: [ITHREAD]
acd0: DVDR <ASUS DRW-2014L1T/1.02> at ata3-master SATA150
ad8: 476940MB <Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 GM4OA52A> at ata4-master SATA300
ad10: 476940MB <Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 GM4OA52A> at ata5-master SATA300
ad14: 476938MB <WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0 12.01C01> at ata7-master SATA300
ad16: 476940MB <SAMSUNG HD502IJ 1AA01109> at ata8-master SATA300
ad18: 476940MB <SAMSUNG HD502IJ 1AA01112> at ata9-master SATA300
ad20: 476940MB <SAMSUNG HD502IJ 1AA01109> at ata10-master SATA300
ad22: 476940MB <SAMSUNG HD502IJ 1AA01109> at ata11-master SATA300
ad24: 476940MB <SAMSUNG HD502IJ 1AA01109> at ata12-master SATA300
ar0: disk0 READY (master) using ad8 at ata4-master
ar0: disk1 READY (mirror) using ad10 at ata5-master
cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0