freebsd-update missed?

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 27 11:38:55 UTC 2008

xorquewasp at googlemail.com wrote:
> I've CCd in cperciva@ to see what he thinks...

I missed the beginning of this thread, but looking back in the archives...

1. I'm very confident that FreeBSD Update is distributing the updated
libpthread.so.

2. If you run ident on the libpthread.so.2 which FreeBSD Update distributes,
or look at the src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c which FreeBSD Update
distributes, you'll see the old 1.116.2.1 RCS number.  This is because
FreeBSD Update mimics "start with the released source code and then apply
the patches which are signed by the FreeBSD Security Officer" without a
detour through CVS -- that detour through CVS would be impossible, in fact,
since we build the binary updates before doing CVS (oops, SVN) commits.

3. If you want to check that you have the latest libpthread.so for FreeBSD
6.3, `sha256 /lib/libpthread.so.2` on an i386 system should print
SHA256 (/lib/libpthread.so.2) =
ff3fc6111331d5b64f939117daef176cc5c511362786ed6325a2333848e80573

4. If your system claims to be running 6.3-RELEASE-p1 but says that there
are no updates needed to update to 6.3-RELEASE-p4, it probably means that
you installed the updated kernel which came with 6.3-RELEASE-p4 but you
haven't rebooted yet.

Colin Percival