Major SMP problems with lstat/namei

Jeff Wheelhouse freebsd-hackers at wheelhouse.org
Wed Sep 24 17:47:35 UTC 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 12:12 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
> Shared lookups only work on the NFS client in 6.x.  I'm about to
> turn them on
> for UFS in HEAD (8.x) and will backport the needed fixes to 7.x
> after 7.1
> (too risky to merge to 7.x this close to a release).

Testers available, when you get to that.  :-)

> So lookup_shared=1
> isn't going to really help on 6.x unless you are doing it all over
> NFS.  You
> also want to backport my fix to cache_enter() before using
> lookup_shared at
> all:

Since it sounds like 6.x is a dead end, we'll focus on 7.x, provided
we can get it to be stable for us.

Having never used svn, I do need to figure out how to pull the
specific  patches you referenced, but I'm sure that's not an
unclimbable mountain. :-)

I appreciate your insight on this, it's very helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff