Major SMP problems with lstat/namei

Jeff Wheelhouse jdw at wheelhouse.org
Wed Sep 24 16:41:51 UTC 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:12 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> There is nothing that can be done within the 6.x branch. 7.x contains
> many improvements but I think only 8.x will directly change the
> lockmgr
> and the namei cache. The best things you can try right now is to use
> 7-STABLE (or soon to be released 7.1; you might need tuning with
> 7.0-RELEASE) or try 8-CURRENT (it's quite stable).

Really?  Nothing?

We get lockmgr-related panics on FreeBSD 7.0, as detailed elsewhere on
this list.

Stability issues aside, what else would we need to tune on 7.0,
besides enabling the ULE scheduler, and how much benefit would we
really get?

These servers are in production, so 8-CURRENT is not an option.  I've
already had my knuckles rapped by a customer for trying 7.1-PRERELEASE
on one of their machines.

Thanks,
Jeff