Major SMP problems with lstat/namei

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 24 11:40:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:26:55AM +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:52:59 -0400, Jeff Wheelhouse
> <freebsd-hackers at wheelhouse.org> wrote:
> >
> > We have encountered some serious SMP performance/scalability problems
> > that we've tracked back to lstat/namei calls.  I've written a quick
>
> this all seems like a reason of very poor performance of PHP when used with
> open_basedir and safe_mode enabled. It would be nice to see if there's
> something what could be done to make it better.

Both of which are features which will, thankfully, be removed in PHP 6.
Whoever uses these features in PHP deserves the pain -- they're
worthless and provide no security what-so-ever.  Consider using suPHP
or an MPM like mpm-itk.

Also, PHP and performance shouldn't be put in the same sentence. </rant>