Major SMP problems with lstat/namei

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 24 10:12:26 UTC 2008

Jeff Wheelhouse wrote:

> This is on 6.3-RELEASE-p4 with vfs.lookup_shared=1.
>
> I believe this is the same issue that was previously discussed as "2 x
> quad-core system is slower that 2 x dual core on FreeBSD" archived here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038441.html

> This is becoming a huge problem for us.  Is there anything that at all
> can be done, or any news?  In the case linked above, improvement was
> made by changing a PHP setting that isn't applicable in our case.

There is nothing that can be done within the 6.x branch. 7.x contains
many improvements but I think only 8.x will directly change the lockmgr
and the namei cache. The best things you can try right now is to use
7-STABLE (or soon to be released 7.1; you might need tuning with
7.0-RELEASE) or try 8-CURRENT (it's quite stable).