Error: Can't find libjava.so

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 15 15:26:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 03:30:06PM +0200, Marcel Grandemange wrote:
> > I do realize this is probably better suited for freebsd-questions ,
> however
> > haven't received any response and was simply hoping someone would be kind
> > enough.
> >
> > I recently obtained a very decent ups, however it is not supported by NUT.
> >
> > It does however come with winpower software that does run on FreeBSD.
> >
> > However it rewuired java.
> >
> > So installed from ports
> >
> > And was presented with following error:
> >
> > Error: can't find libjava.so
> >
> > This is on system in folder
> "/usr/local/Diablo-jre1.6.0/lib/amd64/libjava.so
>
> >Can you provide the output of "ldconfig -r" from that box?  I have
> >a feeling the ld.so pathing hints might lack a directory or two.
>

> /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints:
> 	search directories: /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/local/lib

This is the problem as I see it.  ld.so, which is used for finding and
/usr/local/Diablo-jre1.6.0/lib/amd64 for libraries.

I'd like to know which port you installed, and how you installed it.

Based on the above, it appears to me the port itself may/does have a bug
-- it should be updating the hints path to include that directory, but
does/is not.  Please note I am in no way shape or form familiar with
Java or this port.

I do not know if this is specific to your machine or not -- however,
this is the first time I've seen it mentioned, and I quite active with
freebsd-ports.  (I'm subscribed to 15 separate FreeBSD mailing lists,
and I read/follow them all)

Regarding the problem itself: there are ways to work around this by
using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I do not recommend
this, though -- properly configuring the ld.so search path when a
program (or port) is installed is the proper method.

Cross-posting to multiple lists is generally shunned upon, so answers to
the above questions will help determine if the discussion should be
moved to freebsd-ports@ or not.  I've a feeling it should be.

Thanks!