Temp files in /etc

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Sep 8 15:49:36 UTC 2008

Joshua Piccari wrote:
 > I am setting up a few jails and I want them all to use the same /etc files
 > (with the exception of the files related to the password files and
 > databases), so I mounted a shared /etc folder as a nullfs with read-only
 > permissions. The problem is that using utilities like pw or chpass create
 > temporary files in /etc and that file system is mounted read-only.
 > So is there a way to force any utilities that create temp files in /etc to
 > use another location, something like /usr/local/etc for example?

I had exactly the same problem.  I wrote a small patch
that solves it:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/jail-passwd/

Please read the "instructions.txt" file first, then
download the appropriate patch file.

Best regards
   Oliver

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.