Temp files in /etc

Joshua Piccari jpiccari at bblocked.org
Sat Sep 6 03:12:02 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I am setting up a few jails and I want them all to use the same /etc files
(with the exception of the files related to the password files and
databases), so I mounted a shared /etc folder as a nullfs with read-only
permissions. The problem is that using utilities like pw or chpass create
temporary files in /etc and that file system is mounted read-only.
So is there a way to force any utilities that create temp files in /etc to
use another location, something like /usr/local/etc for example?

~Joshua