Obytes counter in netstat not incrementing

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Fri Sep 5 14:17:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 05:22:10PM -0700, Charles Beckham wrote:
> i've already made the changes to rc.conf, but since its a shared
> machine and almost all addresses are in use, i'll have to schedule a
> reboot before i can make changes effective, i will post a follwup
> after i've made these changes. thanks for you assistance.

Be carefull with the mask - the primary should match the network range.
Just additional ones need to be /32.
If you are using multiple network ranges then you need multiple primary
ones.

I'm not a friend of large aliases on Ethernet anyway, since it just
creates large ARP tables and wastes addresses (broadcast, ...).
What I normaly do is configuring additional addresses (not part of
any LAN) on lo0.
Then you just route those addresses to the host.
Using LAN IPs is just a workaround when you can't route IPs or other
special requirements exists.
One of the special requirement might be that the clients are
distributed on the same LAN, so you don't want to pass everything over
a router.
But the typical case for such a large number of addresses are internet
services and in that case everything has to pass your router anyway.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de