strange behaviour with /sbin/init and serial console

Thierry Herbelot thierry.herbelot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 31 10:47:41 PDT 2008

Le Friday 31 October 2008, Jeremy Chadwick a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 05:46:23PM +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> > with the following patch on /sbin/init, I have two different behaviours
> > depending on the console type (on a i386/32 PC) :
> > - on a video console, I see the expected two messages,
> > - on a serial console, the messages are not displayed (init silently
> > finishes its job and gets to start /etc/rc and everything)
>
> I thought this was normal behaviour on FreeBSD, but it's very likely I'm
> misunderstanding.  The charts in Section 27.6.4 describe what "level" of
> logging is shown where and at what stage, depending upon which boot
> flags and device settings you use:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

Hello,

I had not taken the time to read this link as thouroughly as should  have
been.

nevertheless, I think the config is right, as the serial console is selected
with "-h" in /boot.config (from memory, the machine is at work ...) and all
*other* expected messages from the kernel ("dmesg") and the rc scripts are
correctly displayed on respectively the serial and video console.

what struck me is that, from all the startup messages, just the messages
from /sbin/init are displayed only on the video console

	TfH