Why does adding /usr/lib32 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH break 64-bit ?binaries?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 27 15:01:55 UTC 2008

In message: <200810271411.m9REB6te015188 at lurza.secnetix.de>
            Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> writes:
: Daniel O'Connor wrote:
:  > On Friday 24 October 2008 23:20:59 Peter Jeremy wrote:
:  > > > this will make system trying to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit program. it
:  > > > can't work
:  > >
:  > > rtld shouldn't attempt to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit programs.
:  >
:  > The same problem happens with the Linux run time linker - it merrily tries to
:  > link FreeBSD libraries to Linux binaries with predictable results..
:
: You *can* link Linux libraries with FreeBSD binaries (and
: vice versa), if the library does not perform any syscalls,
: e.g. it is a pure computation library or similar.
:
:  > That said it would be really nice if it ignored incompatible libraries :)
:
: No.  Please don't put such pseudo-cleverness into rtld.
: It wouldn't be an improvement, in fact it might break some
: working configurations.

Yes.  I have a bunch of printer drivers that I've used that link in
linux shared libraries...  They are in ports...

Warner