zfs & waiting on zio->io_cv

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Sat Oct 25 09:18:38 UTC 2008

[...]
> > I guess this beast needs some tunning, are there any tools out there
> > to monitor/tune ZFS?
>
> Monitor ZFS: sysctl
> Tune ZFS: vi /boot/loader.conf or sysctl

> I'm not sure what you're looking for.  :-)

	the magic wand :-)

/OT
there's an old saying, numbers don't lie, only _____.
[you can fill the _____ with whatever, I like 'salesperson']
update: ____ should be wall-street-analysts
/OT/

there are too many tunables, and I really don't want to spend all my waking
hours tunning, but once in a while, I do check performance, and running
top, iostat, nfsstat, etc, sometimes show a 'congestion'.
the problem I encounter very often, is that what is a great solution for one,
might be disastrous for another.

ZFS is the new kid in town, and so far I am quiet happy - have 2 in production,
and the new one will be very soon, it's being used to train/learn/play but will
go online very soon, then it will be hammered by several projects, and it
would-be-nice to have some tool to watch performance and be able to do some
tunning, to quote tunefs:
	'You can tune a file system, but you cannot tune a fish.'

babbling on a rainy day,
	danny