[Doubt] Can a PCI device communicate with another PCI or other device?

Srinivas mboxindia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:30:02 UTC 2008

I think a PCI device can communicate with another PCI device directly
without the intervention of the CPU.

Excerpt from "PCI Express System Architecture"

PCI Transaction Model - Peer-to-Peer
A Peer-to-peer transaction shown as Transaction 3 in Figure 1-5 on
page 20 is the direct transfer of data between two PCI devices. A
master that wishes to initiate a transaction, arbitrates, wins
ownership of the bus and starts a transaction. A target PCI device
that recognizes the address claims the bus cycle. For a write bus
cycle, data is moved from master to target. For a read bus cycle, data
is moved from target to master.

--S