continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net
Fri Oct 10 15:51:22 UTC 2008

I just wanted to say thanks to all the replies to this thread. It has
been insightful even though the suggestions I have received were not
really answers to what I asked.

I dont see any reason why we should continue to argue about if this can
be done using ZFS or Hammer or any other filesystem. The fact is that it
can be done eventually with something else if one has the will, time and
money to put into it. One can even write his own filesystem code for it eh?

The original question (which was lost) was if somebody who has technical
knowledge and coding skills who can put r1soft into the right track so
their software can support FreeBSD. Because r1soft is interested in
supporting FreeBSD.

Most of you probably know that FreeBSD support in products of commercial
companies are scarce already. This is causing reductions in user base
and popularity, although I am not saying that the more users are the
better or I am not saying that popularity is everything. But you have to
be able to combine one issue with another and see what the results might
be in the long run. For example, wouldnt it be good for FreeBSD itself
if Oracle supported FreeBSD? While I cant make Oracle to support
FreeBSD, there is a company out there with a popular and quality product
which is interested in supporting FreeBSD in their products. So why not
take advantage of the situation?

While I didnt think about some details when I sent the first post, some
people thought that I would want somebody to code for r1soft for free so
they can sell the software. No I do not and did not expect anybody to do
anything for free.

So, to summarize, if there is anybody who wants to help the 'actual'
issue here, either by getting payed or just giving free hints and tips
to r1soft then please contact me (I can forward your contact info) or
with r1soft. Dag-Erling Smørgrav already told me that I can send his
info and I have sent his contact info to r1soft for this issue.

I hope we can now stop arguing about all the other things :) It wasnt my
intention to start such arguments.

Thanks,
Evren