continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net
Fri Oct 10 12:53:45 UTC 2008

Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 02:34:28 +0300
> yurtesen at ispro.net wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Oliver Fromme" <olli at lurza.secnetix.de>:
>>
>>> These features are readily available right now on FreeBSD.
>>> You don't have to code anything.
>> Well with 2 downsides,
>
> Once you actually try and implement these solutions, you'll see that
> your "downsides" are largely figments of your imagination.

So if it is my imagination, how can I actually convert UFS to ZFS
easily? Everybody seems to say that this is easy and that is easy.

When you look at this from a single point then you might be right. But
next thing in my agenda is to provide restore services to hosting
customers. Now when I use a commercial solution like r1soft backup, I
can just install the plugin for the control panel software (like cPanel
or H-Sphere).

If it is imagination and things are so easy, I can give you $500(r1soft
pricing) for every 5servers I have, and you can give the same features
that r1soft gives, deal? I have no doubt that similar solution can be
achieved on FreeBSD. If you sit and think for a second, the problem is
the amount of time, resources and knowledge it requires to do the same
solution in FreeBSD is way higher than if one was using Linux.

 > I seriously doubt that it supports things like GMailFS.

You are right, my mistake. But it supports the most commonly used Linux
filesystems, still better than changing to a brand new filesystem. But
sorry for the mistake.

Thanks,
Evren