FreeBSD support for HP DL180/G5

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:48:54 UTC 2008

HP produces pretty good boxes and historically I have been able to get them
working without any troubles. However I would say DL180 is a pretty non
customizable box. The hardware works perfectly with FreeBSD 7.0. I didnt try
it with 6.3, so cant comment on that.

However I would say DL380 is a better off. The main advantage of DL3xx boxes
are there is a lot of room to play with add-on cards. Also not all the
latest and greatest processors are available with DL1xx family of servers.

Also make sure that you go for an external RAID controller like 3ware or
Areca. I prefer Areca more :-D. The HP RAID controller cant take the beating
I give to it.

Thanks
Subhro