continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Oct 9 14:21:16 UTC 2008

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > However, ZFS does exist on FreeBSD, and I think it wouldn't
 > > be impossible to add similar features to ZFS.
 >
 > Possibly even as a ZFS module?  This might  be something better addressed at
 > the ZFS project level --- but the next question is: does FreeBSD support ZFS
 > modules?

I'm sorry I don't know.  But also see my other reply
regarding ZFS snapshots ans "zfs send".

 > > Another possibility would be to extend gjournal by adding
 > > time stamps to journal transactions and a possibility to
 > > feed the journal to a pipe, socket or whatever.  And of
 > > course a client-side implementation that does something
 > > useful with the journal stream.  This might even be a good
 > > SoC project.
 >
 > Now this interests me.  Firstly, I thought that gjournal might only be
 > responsible for the meta-data (but I'm happy to be wrong on this point).

Nope, gjournal handles _all_ data, i.e. meta data and file
contents.

 > Secondly, is it a) sufficient and b) efficient to attempt to time-travel UFS
 > with the gjournal log?

I almost don't dare to mention DragonFly BSD again, but
they do have a UFS journaling implementation that does
exactly that:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=mountctl
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=jscan

However, I think the implementation was abandoned because
it was obsoleted by the development of the HAMMER file
system.  But the basic functionality is there and works.

Best regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt