continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:15:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:

> "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble at gmail.com> writes:
> > "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" <des at des.no> writes:
> > > What really annoys me with this thread is that nobody has provided
> > > any information at all that would allow someone to understand what
> > > needs to be done and estimate how hard it would be.
> > Well... I hinted that a hammer port would be sufficient (although they
> > need to finish their replication design) and I hinted that the hammer
> > approach may be graftable to ZFS.  Both reasonably large effort-wise
> > (but probably within the scope of a single developer with sufficient
> > time).
>
> No...  you're so far off the mark it's not even funny, especially when
> it's been repeatedly pointed out to you.  This is not a file system,
> it's a backup system.  It's not designed to survive a disk crash or an
> accidental file deletion, it's designed to survive a direct missile
> strike on your colo center.
>
> To quote Wikipedia, "CDP is a service that captures changes to data to a
> separate storage location" - emphasis on "separate".

Wow... thanks for the flame, but there's no reason that the  device that is
receiving the hammer replication couldn't be on the other side of the globe
and there's no reason it couldn't be considered a backup.  Part of the
advantage of the structure that allows you to efficiently select for new
changes allows you to do the same kind of *backup* as they claim.