continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net
Mon Oct 6 21:56:59 UTC 2008

Sean Bruno wrote:
> Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As far as I can see, there is no continuous backup solution for
>> FreeBSD at the moment. I talked with R1Soft and they seem to not be
>> able to support FreeBSD and need help.
>>
>> Does anybody have free time and skills to give a hand? Please see:
>> http://forum.r1soft.com/showpost.php?p=3414&postcount=9
>>
>> I know people who want to switch to using FreeBSD but cant do that
>> because their backup solution (R1Soft) does not support FreeBSD :(
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Evren
> Hmmm....Well, my company (MiraLink) makes a BSD based appliance that
> mirrors block level changes between two units.
>
> It's commercial, not BSD licensed, but it's something.
>
> www.miralink.com
>
> sean

Hello Sean,

Thanks for the link. The miralink products seem to be doing data replication
similar to gmirror+ggate? This wont protect against accidental deletion of data etc.

The near continuous backup solutions do not mirror/replicate the data. Think
about it as continuously taking backup. You can return back to 10 minutes or 1
hour before and restore old data.

In either case, I wasnt trying to start a debate between backup solutions etc.
here. I simply wanted to ask for help if somebody who has in depth knowledge
about disk subsystems of FreeBSD and can give some tips to r1soft so FreeBSD
could be supported also. As you can imagine, it is not only important that data
can be restored when a box hardware failure etc. it is also important that data
can be restored if deleted by accidents etc. While traditional backup programs
provide this functionality, you cant really go back to 10 min or 1h ago, often
they take daily backups and have to scan whole filesystem for changed files
every time the backup is taken which stresses out the systems.

Thanks,
Evren