Major SMP problems with lstat/namei

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 1 21:18:29 UTC 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008 07:00:04 pm Jeff Wheelhouse wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2008, at 12:12 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Shared lookups only work on the NFS client in 6.x.  I'm about to
> > turn them on
> > for UFS in HEAD (8.x) and will backport the needed fixes to 7.x
> > after 7.1
> > (too risky to merge to 7.x this close to a release).
>
> OK, given all the patches you referenced, I did make a decent effort
> at backporting to 7.0.

It sounds like you missed some of the dirhash changes somehow, as dirhash no
longer has any lockmgr stuff in it (and only ever did in HEAD).  I've
generated a patch though using svn.  You can grab it from
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/ufs_lookup7.patch  Note that you will
have to set vfs.lookup_shared=1 to enable shared locks (either loader tunable
or sysctl).

Also, I found a few other changes I had missed earlier that needed to be
included.

--
John Baldwin