FreeBSD boot menu is missing

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Nov 28 20:52:25 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:45:10AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Just make sure you leave a few unallocated blocks at the end of the disk
> (for gmirror metadata).  In most cases, this happens automatically,

Well, you only need to leave room for 512 bytes or one hard drive sector,
in the case of gmirror.

I've never seen a drive that ends exactly on a cylinder boundary;  hardware
RAID assumes this too.  I would like to hear of a drive which is an exact
cylinder multiple and how hardware RAID handles those situations.  I always
just assume there's extra space that's not consumed.

-- Rick C. Petty