Hardware support for AMD Geode CS5536 audio?

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:33:44 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:30 AM, ancelgray <ancelgray at yahoo.com> wrote:

> To AMD CS5536 users:
>
> This is Andrew Gray.  I have finished the audio driver for the AMD CS5536
> companion
> chip. It is working on a  PC Engines Alix 1C low power board under FreeBSD
> 7.0.
> It can be found at:
>
> http://modelofreality.org/snd_amd5536.html
>
> Let me know how it goes.
>
> Andrew Gray
>
> ancelgray AT y a h o o  DOT com

Andrew,

Thanks for the contribution. I have a spare HP thin client with AMD
Geode in which I can give this driver a try, if I find some time
available next week. I'm a bit concerned about the copyrights,
however, as outlined below.

The amd5536.c informs that it is "derived from Bruce R. Montegue's AMD
CS5530 audio driver and the Linux CS5535 ALSA driver". I did not find
the original source files, but supposing that they are licensed under
GPL you will need a written permission from the owners to redistribute
the code under a different licensing terms. From a strictly legal
point of view, even paraphrasing a code may be considered copy.

The amd5536.h contains a license statement but not the name of the
licensor (copyright owner), which is mandatory. Anonymous contents can
not be licensed.

--
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/life
make clean