FreeBSD boot menu is missing

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 12:30:05 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Kevin Day <kevin at your.org> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't use a sysinstall script.
>>
>> Set up a file system (say /nfsroot) on an NFS server in your lab.
>

> Just in case anyone needs a real step-by-step guide to getting a diskless
> PXE/NFS boot going, I wrote this up a little while ago.
>
> http://sigsegv.org/wiki/How_to_do_a_PXE_netboot_install_of_FreeBSD
>
> The existing documentation was either a bit out of date, glossed over some
> of it or just flat out didn't work for me. Takes an existing running system,
> clones it into /nfsroot, enables dhcpd/tftpd/nfsd, and relies on rc.diskless
> to make the magic happen after boot.

That's a good brief guide, but a lot of the information is already
contained in: <http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html>.

That reminds me that I need to add some documentation for booting
OpenFirmware Mac's with Netboot (some experiences that I had at Cisco
that I wanted to pass down for others).

-Garrett