lzma compression/decompression in bsdtar/libarchive?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 26 10:20:53 PST 2008

bf wrote:
>>I think you need contact to author.
>>I don't see information about public domain on russian
>>page
>
> I should add that there has been a discussion of the license
> change on the project's Sourceforge forums, and the author reaffirms
> the change:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2599870&forum_id=45797

Thank you very much for that pointer, that helps a lot.

It is a little worrying that Igor Pavlov is asking people
whether he should change the license yet again.  <sigh>
I hope that's simply rhetorical.  Having a license that
keeps changing is much worse than any GPL variant.

At least it's clear that 4.61 is Public Domain so
even if later versions do change, then it should be
feasible to fork from there.

Maybe over the coming holidays I'll have time to
start looking at whether it's feasible to have
lzma support in FreeBSD's base system.  At least
the licensing should no longer be an obstacle, though
there could be other hurdles.

Tim