Hot swapping SATA drives

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:29:39 PST 2008

On November 25, 2008 08:53 am Peter Steele wrote:
> Is there any solution to this? Can a server be built around FreeBSD
> that supports hot swappable SATA drives?

Use a real hot-swappable drive plane, attached to a good SATA controller
that handles hot-swap in hardware?  :)

Use ZFS, which seems to work better with drives being added/removed than
ata(4)?  :)

Sorry, the few systems we have running FreeBSD either have single IDE
drives, single SATA drives, or 12-24 SATA drives attached to a hardware
hot-swappable drive-plane connected to 3Ware 9550/9650 RAID controllers.
The single-drive systems obviously can't do swapping, and the rest work
without issues.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com