mounting Mac OS .dmg files?

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 14:06:41 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org> wrote:
> Since the underlying OS of Mac OS is FreeBSD I'm wondering whether itr is
> possible to mount a
> .dmg file as it is used in Apple software distribution for the Mac OS. I
> would like to install an
> Apple iPhone configuration utility on my FreeBSD box
> (iPhoneConfigurationUtility.dmg). It consists of a
> web application that is supposedly capable of doing updates of Apple iPhones
> through a web service.
> (good for company wide distribution of address book information and other
> data that iPhones can hold).
>
> --
> Christoph Kukulies

As everyone else has pointed out, FreeBSD != OSX. I think that was the
whole point of the Darwin logo (a platypus with Beastie's horns on it:
<http://docs.huihoo.com/darwin/images/hexley-2.png>). If you watch the
"BSD is Dying" presentation, you'll laugh when you see the reference
to OSX as well:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7833143728685685343 :).

You have two choices:
1. Buy an Xserve loaded with OSX: http://shop.apple.com/ .
2. Compile and maintain your own copy of Apple's version of Darwin:
http://opensource.apple.com/ .

FYI, according to the Apple folks OSX is based off FreeBSD 5 (not sure
which minor version):

[Quote -- http://opensource.apple.com]:
This fully-conformant UNIX operating system—built on Mach 3.0 and
FreeBSD 5—bundles over a hundred of the most popular Open Source
products.
[/Quote]

Cheers,
-Garrett