How can I add new binaries to the mfsroot image?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Nov 18 02:41:08 PST 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 10:26:26 Peter Steele wrote:
> Is this something that can be done via sysinstall? If not, what's the
> best alternative? This whole process is targeted to be on a PXE boot
> server so we can configure our systems in a completely automated
> hands-off manner. We have 200+ FreeBSD systems and we definitely need an
> automated process. We already have it working fine, but without
> mirroring. We can upgrade doezens of systems at a time simply by making
> them boot from our PXE server. We now need to tweak this process so that
> we can establish the mirrored file systems as part of the automated
> install.

I believe you modify /usr/src/release/${ARCH}/boot_crunch.conf to do this.

I haven't actually tried though...

I think it would be possible to have a 'GEOM' menu that you can run prior to
fdisk, label, etc that would allow you to do some basic stuff like this.

While the sysinstall code is a bit fugly it's not that difficult to hack on
(speaking from limited experience :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum