Intel 5100 WiFi

jT toyj at union.edu
Sun Nov 16 18:19:52 PST 2008

Steve,
   A few Iwn drivers *are* supported, mine being iwn 4965 -- is
supported and has been committed to 8.0-CURRENT.  You can find more
information about development on this hardware here :
http://www.clearchain.com/blog/posts/iwn.  I'm pretty sure that there
is not that much work done on your model yet.

   Yes it will require a firmware blob as the 4965 one does.  You are
required to take notice to the legal aspects of the blob via setting a
key in loader.conf.  In terms of FreeBSD aligning with OpenBSD, I have
no idea -- i have only run BSD.  We *always* prefer Free as in Freedom
-- hence FreeBSD -- again not sure what the OBSD policies are.

In addition this is probably a better question for freebsd-mobile or
freebsd-questions

Thanks and good luck

--
/jT