Request for individuals interested in reviewing test / python topics

Sun Nov 16 00:16:40 PST 2008

Quoting Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> (from Sat, 15 Nov 2008
14:08:02 -0800):

> Hello Hackers and Porters,
> 	I'm currently working on a proposal to the FreeBSD foundation to
> use Python Nose as a testing framework for writing tests. If there are

Are you aware of the history of the current regression tests?

If not:

It started without a structure, then some work was done to move to the
perl testing framework style (really only the output of the tests, and
the naming conventions in the directory). This was not completed, and
newer tests may not comply.

The reason for chosing the perl style was, to be able to use the
extensive perl tools to
  - automatically run all the tests
  - be able to compare different runs with the perl tools
  - be able to generate a lot of different output formats (html/text/...)

There's also a wiki page about testing, which you may want to check out:
     http://wiki.freebsd.org/TetIntegration

I don't really know python nose. I just looked at it quickly and can
not see any big benefit compared to the perl test protocol outlined
above (and the stuff outlined in the wiki looks even more advanced
than that). Would you please elaborate where you see the benefits of it?

Note that during release building perl is needed anyway to generate
the index for the ports collection. I don't know if python is required
currently during the release generation.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
I would have made a good pope.