Is there any way to increase the KVM?

Tz-Huan Huang tzhuan at csie.org
Sat May 31 06:19:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

Our nfs server is running 7-stable/amd64 with 8G ram, the size of zfs
pool is 12T. We have set vm.kmem_size and vm.kmem_size_max to
1.5G, but the kernel still panics by "kmem_map too small" often.
According to [1], the limitation is not only by the loader (is it fixed now?)
but also by the default layout of KVM. [2] points a way to increase the
KVM, but we get the similar linking error.

Is there any standard way to modify the layout of KVM? For example, we
may want to set KVM to 6G and leave the 2G for user space usage.

Thanks,
Tz-Huan

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-October/077964.html
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-March/084325.html