Progress of the BSD-licensed grep, sort and diff

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 27 21:37:10 UTC 2008

Hello all,

as you might have already known, I'm working on the BSD-licensed
versions of these utilities, porting them from OpenBSD and complete the
functionality. Still, I have a lot to do, but here's a little bit of
status report:

grep:
- Implemented --label
- Implemented --null
- Implemented -D / --devices
- Implemented -H / --with-filename
- Implemented --version
- Eliminate warnings
- style(9) cleanup

sort:
- Added support for long command line options
- Implemented -S / --buffer-size
- Implemented --version
- Eliminate warnings
- style(9) cleanup

diff:
- Implemented --version
- Eliminate warnings
- style(9) cleanup

Apart from the missing features, they should work fine, you can try it
via the bsdgrep, bsdsort and bsddiff ports in the textproc category.
These ports create bsd* and gnu* symlinks for the easier testing. If any
of you could use these ports and report the possible problems, that
would be cool.

Cheers,
Gábor Kövesdán