Kerberized CIFS client?

Hartmut Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Thu May 22 11:25:12 UTC 2008

Derek Taylor wrote:
> This question was previously posed of the freebsd-questions list, but
> with no response for a week, I'd like to try my luck here.  If there's
> any more information I should include, please speak up: I would be glad
> to oblige.
>
> I would like to use smb/cifs with kerberos auth, but mount_smbfs doesn't
> seem to support this.
>
> Is anyone aware of an alternate means of performing a mount via smb/cifs
> or any patches to provide such functionality?
>
> I already have smbclient working with -k, but I am also interested in a
> mount.

Try smbnetfs from ports. It's fuse based and seems to work very nice. If
you have a large amount of shares floating in your network you want to
restrict it to mount only the needed shares via the config file.
Otherwise it will mount what it can find...

It plays nicely with kerberors. When your ticket expires you immediately
loose access; when you renew it you gain access again. All without the
need to unmount/mount. Just call smbnetfs once you have your ticket. You
may even do this from your .profile.

harti