Hifn 7955 doesn't work with Freebsd 7.0-release

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Thu May 22 03:59:28 UTC 2008

Richard van Mansom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup two Soekris 4521 with a minipci vpn1411 (Hi/fn 7955) in
> a vpn.
>
> I understood that the crypto card should automatically work with only three
> kernel configuration file modification.
>
> So I added these three lines
>
> device	crypto
> device	cryptodev
> device	hifn
>
> I tested with openvpn (the one release with pkg_add). I used the default
> cipher (I think this is BF-CBC - Blowfish 128 bit). The VPN works but I
> didn't notice any difference in performance (with or without the crypto
> card).
> I also tested the crypto card with AES128 but the performance only got worse
> (didn't have a baseline for that one)
>
> Relevant output:
> dmesg | grep hifn
> hifn0 mem 0xa0000000-0xa0000fff,0xa0002000-0xa0003fff,0xa0008000-0xa000ffff
> irq 10 at device 16.0 on pci0
> hifn0: [ITHREAD]
> hifn0: Hifn 7955, rev 0, 32KB dram, pll=0x801<ext clk, 4x mult>
>
> dmesg | grep crypto
> cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on motherboard
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD Soekris 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sat May 17 10:53:38 UTC
> 2008     root at One:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/C5  i386
>
> Any help would be appreciated

Unfortunately openssl doesn't use the accelerator by default.  This
means all apps that use openssl likewise are not automatically
accelerated.  I suggested a patch but it was not accepted.  I can't
recall how you force openssl and/or consumers to use the device.

If you want to check whether the kernel support is working correctly
look in src/tools/tools/crypto for cryptotest and hifnstats.

    Sam