BDB corrupt

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed May 14 19:20:33 UTC 2008

On 2008-May-14 09:50:52 -0400, "Kurt J. Lidl" <lidl at pix.net> wrote:
>One other thing to watch for in SQLite is the lack of atomicity
>in updates.  It's not ACID, just like BDB 1.8x isn't ACID.

This isn't true.  SQLite does provide full ACID.  One difference from
(eg) Oracle is that you need to explicitly begin a transaction, rather
than a transaction implicitly commencing with the first DML statement.
(I don't know what the SQL standard requires).

>Without a write-ahead log,

It does have a log to record incomplete transactions.

> it doesn't give you referential integrity.

To quote http://www.sqlite.org/omitted.html: "FOREIGN KEY constraints
are parsed but are not enforced.  However, the equivalent constraint
enforcement can be achieved using triggers."

>I looked (admitted, a while ago), it didn't even enforce column type
>checking on tables.  (Put this string in the INT column? No problem!)

As noted, this is seen as a feature, not a bug.

No-one is claiming SQLite is perfect.  It does, however, provide a
very usable SQL engine, that provides most of SQL92, with a very small
footprint and a friendly license.  If FreeBSD does need something with
capabilities than BDB1.x, SQLite is an obvious contender.

--
Peter Jeremy