Adaptec RAID 3805 and FreeBSD 7.0

Romain Tartière romain at blogreen.org
Tue May 13 16:13:54 UTC 2008

Hi!

I am trying to have an Adaptec RAID 3805 controller working on FreeBSD
7.0. According to the release note [1], it's okay.  Unfortunately, the
driver fails to detect everything as expected.  The following is
displayed at boot-time:

> aac0: <Adaptec RAID 3805> mem 0xff200000-0xff3fffff irq 16 at device 14.0 on pci3
> aac0: couldn't allocate register window 0
> device_attach: aac0 attach returned 6

The CD provided with the controller include kernel modules for FreeBSD 5
and 6, but not 7 (I however tried to kldload it (Yes, I am _very_
optimistic by nature) but link_elf fails with "symbol msleep
undefined").

The Adaptec website does not provide drivers for FreeBSD 7.0, but has a
much more recent version of the driver than the one on the CD, so I
fetched it, and tried to compile it (AACRAID 32- and 64-bit Driver Build
15727 for FreeBSD 6.1 and 6.2).  I fixed the source the "lazy way", that
is fixing that makes the compilation fail untill it pass.

The result was not much better:
> aacu0: <Adaptec RAID 3805> mem 0xff200000-0xff3fffff irq 16 at device 14.0 on pci3
> aacu0: couldn't allocate register window 0
> device_attach: aacu0 attach returned 12

So I took the aac(4) source code of FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE, 7.0-STABLE and
the version of Adaptec and tried to merge changes from 6.2 to 7.0 in the
Adaptec code... The result is however almost the same :-(

Has anybody tried / succeeded in using such a controller on FreeBSD
7.0-CURRENT?  Has somebody this controller working on FreeBSD 6.3 (I can
consider to downgrade to the legacy release if required since the
machine is not yet in production)?

Thank you!
Romain