BDB corrupt

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon May 12 19:24:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:35:31 +0400 Anthony Pankov <ap00 at mail.ru> wrote:
> Because BDB:
> 1. do not need additional installation
> 2. is part of base system which mean it is mature, reliable and stable

BDB in the base system is mature, reliable and stable *for what it's
used for in the base system.* So long as your requirements are covered
by that usage, you'll be ok.

The uses I know of for BDB in the base system all consist of databases
of relatively small items that are changed infrequently, and usually
with a locking mechanism. From what you've said, this doesn't describe
your requirements.

More importantly, from what other people are saying, your requirements
are ones for which it's known that BDB is *not* reliable, or otherwise
unsuitable. In particular, an effort is underway to allow parallel
ports builds, which implies concurrent access to the database, which
is a known source of problems for BDB.

	  <mike