Adding .db support to pkg_tools

Mel fbsd.hackers at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri May 9 12:56:53 UTC 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 13:52:46 Anders Nore wrote:

> I'm working on adding .db support to the pkg_tools( i.e. pkg_add,
> pkg_info, etc. ) as part of SoC 2008.

Is this gonna be optional?

> One problem lies with the +* files which is scripts (e.g., +INSTALL,
> +DEINSTALL). I've gotten some input that it's bad to save scripts in the
> db, but if it's not going to be saved there, then where? Isn't it possible
> to execute a script without saving a file to disk? Like using "sh -c
> 'string'". In my personal opinion it should not be a hybrid solution where
> you save the script files in an old fashion way, for example
> /var/db/pkg/someport-1.2_1/+INSTALL, and the rest of the information lies
> in the .db file. Because then you have redundancy and that could lead to
> inconsistencies.

Don't know what the reasons are for people to say it's bad to save scripts in
the db, but for me it would be that I can't inspect and/or modify them,
though if there were support in the ports for PKG(DE)INSTALL_LOCAL, I suppose
I could do without the modification part.
--
Mel