Improving Syslog

Martin Schütte lists at mschuette.name
Tue May 6 22:31:53 UTC 2008

Robert Watson schrieb:
> managed if done carefully.  I'm not sure if you've looked at Apple's
> extended syslog, which among other things, includes a binary log file
> format making it more mechanically searched and managed, do take a look
> if you haven't.

I read the asl man pages
(http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/asl.3.html)
because I am looking for an API to support the new fields in
syslog-protocol.
I liked the approach of adding different attributes to a message object,
I think that would work well for structured data parametern.
But the asl functions would have to be extended for syslog-protocol
because they do not use namespaces for the key=value pairs.

The log storage and filter mechanisms are interesting, but IMHO out of
scope for a basic syslogd.
If desired one could probably write a small tool to use an indexed BDB
for storage and attach it with a pipe to syslogd.

--
Martin