vkernel & GSoC, some questions

Igor Shmukler shmukler at mail.ru
Tue Mar 18 07:34:37 UTC 2008

Matt,

We use VMWare Server at work. It does not have the same nice image management interface and/or video capture as commercial counterparts. However, it is is free and testing on it helps us out big time. We never concluded whether it maked sense to pay for VMWare licenses, instead of using free shell scripts legally available for free.

I have used UML for development in the past. I even used bochs once to debug a boot loader. All nice tools. Beats real hardware for me.

Xen and KVM are significantly slower than commercial products due to hardware switching. There is a GPLed product that works about as fast as VMWare's BT - VirtualBox by innotek. Sun recently scooped them up.

Don't you use something like VMWare for development and debugging?

In production, we don't use any of these products - too slow and too much RAM would be required.

Sincerely,

Igor Shmukler, http://www.elusiva.com