vkernel & GSoC, some questions

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 17 03:06:12 UTC 2008

On 16/03/2008, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Another avenue to consider is the Linux KVM virtualization technology, which
>  is seeing a high level of interest in the Linux community and sounds
>  increasingly mature and well-exercised.  It would also offer interesting
>  migration benefits for Linux users wanting to try FreeBSD, allowing them to
>  trivially create new FreeBSD installs under their existing Linux install.  We
>  had an SoC project last year but I'm not sure what the outcome was; it would
>  be useful to give Fabio a ping and see how things are going.  Obviously,
>  anyone doing this project would need to manage the license issues involved
>  carefully.

Wasn't part of the original KVM idea to support a "hypervisor"
interface to a parent, sort of Xen-like, providing interrupt, VM and
inter-VM "IPC" hooks?

I remember seeing this stuff a while back but for some reason all I
read about KVM - outside of what Redhat are doing with it and Xen now
- focuses on hardware virtualisation.

A BSD-licenced KVM hypervisor + FreeBSD kernel might be an interesting
project. I'm pretty sure Rusty wrote a very very lightweight KVM
hypervisor as a demonstration which may serve as a starting point for
things.

Adrian

Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org