new SATA chipsets support

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:13:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn at freenet.de>
wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:49:52 -0400
> "Alexander Sack" <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Gary Jennejohn <
> gary.jennejohn at freenet.de>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't speak to this, but why not use a board which is already known
> > > to work? I'm using a Gigabyte M61P-S3 myself.

> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-en&model=M2N-SLI%20Deluxe
> )
> > > may not work with FreeBSD?
> > > >

> > > These are guaranteed not to work, unless you want to port the Linux
> > > drivers.
> >

> > I see that 7.0-RELEASE has ATA Nvidia chipset support.  Does that not
> cover
> > the SATA nvidia chipsets of their unified MCP chipset?  I'm just curious
> if
> > this could be fixed by adding this particular chipset PCI information to
> > struct ata_nvidia_ident in sys/dev/ata/ata-chipset.c.  It looks MCP55 is
> > certainly supported but again I'm stabbing slightly in the dark since I
> > don't know SATA NV.
> >
> > Sorry if this is totally off.  I'm new to the FreeBSD kernel but not
> SATA
> > driver development in general.  Its just a thought...
> >

> Well, according to "man ata" the nforce[23] MCP (among other nvidia
> chipsets) are supported. My motherboard has MCP61 which works just fine.
> But I'm no expert on nvidia chip sets and can't really evaluate whether
> just adding the PCI information will work.

Yea I don't know either since I don't have an Nvidia spec laying around in
front of me!  What I would do is cross reference the PCI BoardId in the
Linux SATA NV chipset driver and see if its supported.  If so, there is a
good chance that by adding the proper PCI information the ata infrastructure
would just take over.   Again, I don't know the exact MCP this motherboard
is using.
Cheers!

-aps

--
"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson