Versioned symbols

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 7 02:53:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:28:39PM -0300, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> I want to make versioned symbols as they work in Linux, but I had no
> success with FreeBSD.

This seems quite relevant, specific to RELENG_7.  (Said feature isn't
available in earlier releases):

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html

The rtld(1) runtime linker now supports ELF symbol versioning using GNU
semantics. This implementation aims to be compatible with symbol
versioning support as implemented by GNU libc and documented in
http://people.redhat.com/~drepper/symbol-versioning and LSB 3.0. Also,
dlvsym() function has been added to allow lookups for a specific version
of a given symbol.