Network Throughput between jail and base system

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Thu Mar 6 22:13:09 UTC 2008

Greetings,

Ilias Marinos wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	I have a jail to my FreeBSD-STABLE, in which I run some

uname -a will be more helpful then "FreeBSD-STABLE".
> services.I have configured and setup this jail using ezjail-admin.
> marinosi at marinos:~$ jls
>    JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
>      1  192.168.1.100   ws			      /usr/jails/ws
> /usr/jails/ws
>
> #Jails
> ezjail_enable="YES"
> ifconfig_lo1="192.168.1.100 netmask 0xffffffff" # Jail iface
>
> I use lo1 as jail interface and I nat internet traffic to it with pf:
> nat on $ext_if from $ws to any -> ($ext_if)
>
> 	Today I 've tried to scp a big directory inside the jail and
> I've noticed that I was secure copying with 2-3MB/s .That sounds too
> weird for me and I would like to hear some opinions , for what it may be
> the problem.

You should investigate where the bottle-neck is. It's probably not in
the network protocol.
Most probably it is limitation of your CPU or your HDD(s).
I think (not sure) jail have default limit to % of the CPU resources, so
if you encrypt the stream
most probably the limitation is in the CPU.
You can check http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits for more
information.