Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed Mar 5 20:36:52 UTC 2008

Warner Losh wrote:
> From: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux
> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:01:28 +1030
>
>> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> here's a set of diffs that will allow FreeBSD's usr.bin/make to build
>>> on Linux.  I'm sure they are gross, and I don't plan to commit them
>>> (at least not all of them), but I thought I'd post them here to see
>>> what people think.
>>>
>>> I think that the extra config.h includes, the errc -> errx patches
>>> and the Makefile.dist patches may be good for the tree.  The rest may
>>> not meet FreeBSD's source tree policies.
>>>
>>> Comments?

I bet a very large portion of those among us who are professional codes
have had been forced at some time to port our make, whether it was the
original pmake, or the up-to-date version (I did the most up to date I
could manage.  Getting something like  this done would be a greaat thing,
it would very seriously help not just ourselves, but all programmers around
the world, but i very seriously doubt you'll ever get it done,  Thoe folks
who thought that making it the most elegant thing on earth without allowing
the least consideration towards cross-compatibility, thoes folks are going
to raise political hell on every step of the way, bring in every white
elephant argument as often as allowed, and most likely force this project
into ports, which is a seriously bad place for it to go, because that
advertisess that we, thje FreeBSD group, are committed to not giving it any
continuing support, and so no one will be able to rely upon it.

The politicians amongst us will kill it, which I'm very osrry to predict