Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Mar 4 15:59:05 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-04 08:50, "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> In message: <20080304153730.GA61036 at kobe.laptop>
>             Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
> :   "arch.c", line 1063: undefined symbol: INT_MIN
> :   cc: acomp failed for arch.c
> :   *** Error code 2
> :   make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `arch.o'
> :   Current working directory /home/keramida/bmake/src
> :
> : This is easy to fix with:
> :
> :   diff -r 68bfc25ed443 src/arch.c
> :   --- a/src/arch.c        Tue Mar 04 17:29:11 2008 +0200
> :   +++ b/src/arch.c        Tue Mar 04 17:35:08 2008 +0200
> :   @@ -96,6 +96,7 @@
> :    #include <ctype.h>
> :    #include <errno.h>
> :    #include <inttypes.h>
> :   +#include <limits.h>
> :    #include <regex.h>
> :    #include <stdlib.h>
> :    #include <stdio.h>
>
> We likely should just commit this to FreeBSD's make, since Section
> 5.2.4.2.1 of the C standard says that INT_MIN is defined there.

That's true.  This is, I hope, one of the good things about the
`exercise' of making BSD make build on all three of BSD, Linux and
Solaris :)

Should I commit the change to arch.c to HEAD?

> : The next part, about the missing errx() functions on Solaris is
> : going to be tonight's fun.  If there are too many missing functions,
> : it may be worth adding a static `libcompat' with copies of just the
> : functions we need to run BSD make on non-BSD hosts.
>
> In the longer term, this likely is a good idea.  In the shorter term,
> I'm not so sure that this is a good idea, since all you'd need would
> be inlines for the functions that make uses.

Once everything builds I plan to keep `synchronizing' with the
usr.bin/make version, so I'm willing to go the extra mile to make things
more maintanable in the long run.