Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Mar 4 06:52:00 UTC 2008

From: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>
Subject: Re: Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:01:28 +1030

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > here's a set of diffs that will allow FreeBSD's usr.bin/make to build
> > on Linux.  I'm sure they are gross, and I don't plan to commit them
> > (at least not all of them), but I thought I'd post them here to see
> > what people think.
> >
> > I think that the extra config.h includes, the errc -> errx patches
> > and the Makefile.dist patches may be good for the tree.  The rest may
> > not meet FreeBSD's source tree policies.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I did this a while ago when porting some of our code to Linux because it
> builds with pmake..
>
> Your patches are much nicer than mine however :)

I was in a hurry, since I thought I could do it in a half hour and
that was faster than explaining things...

> The tailq stuff could be shoved into a linux.h or some such.. So it's
> more obvious what it's for and why it's there.

I resisted creating a linux.h, but we'll likely need something akin to
it.  When I did some Mac OS X experimentation, I had extensions to
legacy to smooth over the rough edges, but it is too early here.

Warner